My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Monday, May 27, 2013

dsdn 111 | process

We've been asked to create an abstract, tectonic, multi-material object inclusive of two physical actions. We have begun by researching a joint within the human body... 

Mine is the jaw


These iterations and models illustrate my progress over the past couple of weeks.

I commenced with a sliding move with this relatively simple, clunky and (admittedly) literal contraption:

sliding jaw

There's something I like about it though so I will store it away as a possible idea for the future.

I then thought about the video (here) that explains the movement of the jaw.... I thought about how the jaw, once it moves out of it's inert/resting position, is able to rotate freely. I created a card model that expressed this:



card model
This movement is best shown here:




I then started working on the idea of making a small container with a lid that needs to be connected to the base in a way that provides a means for locking the container (using the above movement).

Box
I feel ike this might be better made in a cylindrical form so I have experimented with foam to see how this might work:





I will using Sculpy to shape the smale holes on top so I have been experimenting with this material as well.

Sculpy test

Storyboard


No comments:

Post a Comment