My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Friday, May 10, 2013

dsdn 101 | project 2 hand-in


Part 1: 200 word design brief

In this project I draw on the cultures, both ethnic and urban, that have shaped me. 


I have lived in several countries and this has led me to identify with a variety of cultures. I will focus in particular on the Australian Aboriginal culture in this project because I am able to draw comparisons between that way of living and my own experience. 

While I know I have aboriginal ancestry, there is no formal confirmation of this. I believe I have readily adopted other cultures throughout my travels because the history of my own cultural heritage is so enigmatic. My project will identify and express this similarity.


Within my urban existence I have developed an affinity with social media, which I have used to support and broaden both my personal and business lives. My personal taste in music, entertainment, and politics, as well as my travels, has been well documented in Facebook and it also provides a means of connecting with old friends. My project will therefore show how intrinsic networking and social media is to my life.


I will research precedents of aboriginal art for representing my pattern and I will further abstract these to express my ideas.

My personal way of moving is usually high paced, driven and sometimes manic and these traits will characterise my work.

Part 2: One initial pattern design



Part 2: initial pattern design ©2013 helenkwilliams
Here I tried to simplify my concept so that it will be the most concise expression of my ideas. it is one singular motif (like the sngle cell of an organism or a building block) that goes together with others to form a much larger, more complex form.

Part 3: Collate and present eight of your viewfinder drawings from this project.                          

Part 3: initial pattern design ©2013 helenkwilliams


Part 4: One final pattern drawn in Illustrator

Here I have taken my motif and used it to generate a larger and more complex design that could potentially grow into an infinitely repeating pattern.


Part 4: final pattern design done in Illustrator ©2013 helenkwilliams

Because I wanted to show how it would work as a more complex pattern I have added this image of the pattern 


©2013 helenkwilliams

Part 5: Storyboard - A set of visuals sequentially expressing the use of my narrative. Showing concept though use of drawings and comments.


                 

Part 5: Storyboard with key ©2013 helenkwilliams






Part 6: ONE 10 - 30 second clip to depict my pattern in motion.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment