My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

dsdn 101 | critique hand-in



DSDN 101 | Project Three

Critique of Keith Thurlow’s work so far 

By Helen Williams

Review of:

The 200-300 words
This is a concise plan of action – because I have talked it over with you I probably know a few more details than you are giving away here but as an introductory proposal it reads fairly well and is therefore easy to judge from a client’s point of view. Maybe a few more scraps of information (for example you might want to give a hint about the audio you’ll be using) would round it off and give you the 200 word count.
I have also made a couple of grammatical and spelling adjustments and reworded the sentences that just needed a slight change in word order – I couldn’t help myself - I hope you don’t mind.

The storyboard
My first reaction was that I really like the colours and the hand-drawn squares – it lends itself well to your plan to keep the animation basic. I was curious to know if there was a hidden message behind the colour placement but maybe I am trying to read too much into it. I was also wondering about images 21 – 23... is the idea that the stick images will form the cross logo? Maybe some explanatory notes would be helpful.

The Snapshot
I really, really like the angle and focus of this clip. And you’re right about the frame rate you want to work in if this test is anything to go by. 20 fps was too quick - 10 fps would nail it.
 

Original Proposal
 
For this Project, my intention is to raise awareness about Caritas. Specifically the Caritas Challenge; an event targeted at New Zealand school age students. This challenge offers four different options that are designed to help those involved develop an empathy for the conditions of the less fortunate in the Pacific Region.

To achieve this I will be creating a video that compares the conditions of the target audience, to the less fortunate in an entertaining and simple manner. This video will be comprised of a basic animation that switches between two people, displaying their daily actions and tasks in an abstracted, yet readable manner.

I intend to develop empathy and a feeling of responsibility within this target audience.. Because the aim of the video is to attract interest, I will not explicitly describe each of the four challenges and instead entice the viewer to visit the Challenge website to find out more.  I intend to create simple abstracted drawings in illustrator and animate them in flash at a slow frame rate, 8-12fps. The final clip will be approximately 60 seconds long.

 

Rewritten Proposal

For this Project, my intention is to raise awareness about Caritas. Specifically the Caritas Challenge; an event targeted at New Zealand school age students. This challenge offers four different options that are designed to help those involved develop empathy for the conditions of the less fortunate in the Pacific Region.

 To achieve this I will be creating a video that compares the conditions of the target audience, to the less fortunate in an entertaining and simple manner. This video will be comprised of a basic animation that switches between two people, displaying their daily actions and tasks in an abstracted, yet readable manner.

 I intend to develop empathy and a feeling of responsibility within this target audience. Because the aim of the video is to attract interest, I will not explicitly describe each of the four challenges and instead entice the viewer to visit the Challenge website to find out more. (Note 1) I intend to create simple abstracted drawings in illustrator and animate them in flash at a slow frame rate, 8-12fps. The final clip will be approximately 60 seconds long.



Note 1: I thought the sentence commencing 'I do not intend...' could be stated in a more positive way – clients might read the original as a little negative.



No comments:

Post a Comment