My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Monday, May 13, 2013

dsdn 111 | project 2 hand-in





High quality image of presentation drawing ©2013 helenkwilliams


High quality image of final model ©2013 helenkwilliams
High quality image of final model ©2013 helenkwilliams

High quality detail image of final model ©2013 helenkwilliams

High quality image of final model & two submitted process forms ©2013 helenkwilliams


Summary | Project 2 | Build up and Release of Energy
[Using braid technique]

The build-up and release of energy was inspired by precedents of swimming strokes in water. I wanted to express the build-up through the plastic at first. I then identified a pattern in some of the precedents which led me to explore ways to translate the action of alternating or rhythmic energy which emerged as a ‘plait’ or ‘braid’ concept. I realised this neatly encapsulated my idea in an abstract way.

I started by literally braiding the plastic – at first with a longer version and then proceeding to extract one aspect of that, then creating multiple iterations to find a way for the wire to have a reactionary dialogue with the plastic. I achieved this by the use of the ‘v’ shape which expresses the notion of propulsion. The wire now formed a conversation with the plastic and additionally the wire reads as lines of perspective so I was able to express transition.

This project was challenging in terms of committing to a form I felt enthusiastic about, however I feel like the form I eventually chose to work on was a good and unique expression of my ideas. I had no prior experience in working with Rino plastic so I found this project useful in acquiring that skill. I value the experience of furthering my knowledge of design principles, strategies and methodologies. I am looking forward to applying what I have learnt to our next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment