My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Thursday, August 8, 2013

dsdn 144 | final hand in

Here is my presentation and the series of four images I chose to hand in.



©2013 Helen K Williams

©2013 Helen K Williams

©2013 Helen K Williams

©2013 Helen K Williams
©2013 Helen K Williams


Evaluation


 In undertaking the first project for photographics I have, first and foremost, acquired my own digital SLR camera so I have been afforded the luxury of being able to use my own equipment and start really learning how to use the camera.

My first efforts also made me remember how difficult it is to photograph a small and enclosed space in a way that is new and/or interesting. This was always the challenge for me when I owned my business and nothing has really changed. Previously I nearly always resorted to photographing tightly composed images because of this difficulty and by returning to the challenge of focusing on the space aspect rather than the object I have had to confront that issue.

I am satisfied that I have concentrated on portraying the space I was shooting better although there were many unsuccessful attempts as evidenced in my contact sheets.

I found an interesting narrative in choosing the space around the basin to create my theme. I would like to develop that more in my own time. It would make an interesting study as it reveals information about the personality of the owners of the sinks such as their sense of order and need for abundance. There is a psychological study awaiting further exploration in this area.

I tried to shoot at different times of the day and in natural as well as synthetic light and while I had a few issues with white balance settings (and failing to think about that) I was able to produce some interesting final images that required minimal to no further intervention in the way of Photoshop.

One important thing I feel I learnt was to look at all the space in the frame of the image before shooting. I found myself becoming much more conscious of this and it helped improve the quality of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment