My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Thursday, August 16, 2012

wednesday betty street

New project introduced this week. I have been experimenting with creating my first iteration in paper or cardboard form.

I went back to solidworks to see what information I could get about the scale of the object and found I could print the top and side which I did:

Top and bottom of first iteration


Then scaled it down so I could use it as a template on an A4 piece of paper.

Top and bottom scaled down by 50%
The template

My initial idea was to use a concertina-ed piece of paper to represent the sides and sandwich it between two pieces of paper cut in the 'figure 8' shape...That all worked fine and left plenty of paper to play around with making the black spiked piece. But simply gluing the paper pieces together didn't work.
First attempt in paper

So I thought about making it a solid piece using layers of cardboard all cut using the template. I did this successfully but it used all the cardboard (I limited myself to an A4 sized piece).

A4 sized piece of cardboard


I would therefore not be able to make the needle shape if I use this method. I like the idea of doing this with perspex but wonder if it's too simple. I would love to see it complete with the needle in perspex - using the same layered technique.

Final cardboard version of object.

No comments:

Post a Comment