My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Saturday, August 4, 2012

thursday vivian street

Made progress with a few mysteries about 3ds Max solved. I just need to get the placement sorted and I couldn't figure out why I kept selecting my objects and discovering there were multitudes of objects (not just two) selected. I also had a conversation with Sunny that confirmed my issues with settling into the design ethic. Having spent most of my working life being concerned with the pragmatic and what will 'work' I find it hard to shift into the abstract. It requires a concerted effort for me to look beyond the literal. So each iteration becomes an exercise in resolving that conflict. Strangely that lends itself to my narrative because it feels like each of the two objects are engaged in a battle to master one another. There is an obvious a sewing theme to the story but as the shapes develop there can a several metaphors that apply to their relationship for example parent/child or dance partners.
Note: Kraftwerk an excellent soundtrack to work with.

Progress

Detail - lattice expresses fabric notion

Enlarging the black object with 'Push' modifier reinforces its objective which is to dominate the other.


Betty Street

So I went home and started from the first iteration (yep from square one) and got up four straight away...

...and so the battle begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment