My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

dsdn 111 | line (wire) form

I have spent the week experimenting with different ways to further develop the ideas I have been exploring with particular reference to the interior side (and therefore negative space) of the card form.

First iteration:


Initially I took the final card form and...

translated the lines of the form (literally) into this wire form
Wrong - it didn't convey the meaning of the word 'cornered' at all. And it was clearly too literal.

Second iteration:

As I observed the card form from the front I noticed the importance of the line through the centre which formed a spine that seemed to point to the tip of the card (which in turn obscured the darkest area underneath the form). In its simplest form the card was forming an arrow. So I decided to emphasise the spine by doubling the wire along that line which also served to strengthen the form.
I quickly did a rough version of what I was thinking:

Rough second iteration
With the idea of using geometry to organising the design of this form I also noted the measurements of the card form to see if there were any patterns or ratios I needed to be aware of. Finally I noted the dimensions required if I decided to halve the size of the form:

Dimensions of Card Form
I then drew some sketches to help me understand

a) the proportions of the form - I flattened one of my wire iterations and sketched the (ideal) form I wanted to create:

Illustration 1: flattened wire form
b) how the form was in relation to the card - I used the sketch below to compare my wire forms by flattening them directly on the sketch.

Illustration 2: flattened card form

 Third Iteration:

I then used this information to guide me on precisely where to bend the metal.


Process work - third iteration


But weirdly all my calculations didn't help and I ended up with a form that was far less successful than the first effort:

Third iteration


At this point I felt I wanted to try working in some of the other types of metal. I have very little experience in shaping metal wire so I wanted to see how the copper and finer wire performed.

Fourth Iteration:

The copper was a complete flop. I could not manipulate the wire very well at all and I felt it wasn't the right colour anyway:
Copper

 Fifth Iteration:

I started working with the finer gauge wire but even though it was much easier to use it looked too fine and delicate and did not convey my ideas at all. I persevered and even applied thread but it proved to be 'rickety' and not very hard to discard.

Finer gauge wire
I am, however, interested in the possibilities for photographing this form. I like how the shadows it casts refer back to the scoring on my card form:
Finer gauge wire

Sixth Iteration:

I returned to working with the wire we were initially given and decided it worked best for me. I found it easiest to bend. In addition, the outcome seems solid and has a strong, industrial quality which is more in keeping with my objectives.

I created this iteration thinking I had my dimensions right but again, found the wire 'ran out' before I could finish. I continued with the thread anyway to see what it looked like and felt vindicated in my decision to move on and make another - it seems uptight, severe and too simple. I need this form to feel quite solid with more than just three points of contact with the ground...

6th iteration

Seventh iteration:

This is the form I had been wanting to create.There is a spine that points right at the shadowy corner concealed beneath the front tip. The symmetry and repetition of the form are not only pleasing to me aesthetically, they also relate back to the card form without being an exact replica of it. This is a form that has evolved from the original. It has helped me understand the next part of the project and how it must progress from here. I am much closer to my final iteration now.
Seventh iteration (left) and original card form (right)





No comments:

Post a Comment