My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

dsdn 101 | project 1 hand-in



EX 1. IDENTITY 

I chose to group together my five objectives in a hierarchical composition. Originally I was going to use my ring as the fifth item (as seen here) but in the end I chose to replace it with a USB stick. I was pleased with the outcome of this piece and quickly realised I have a strong preference for working in ink. I appreciate strong lines and clearly defined objects. I also like the cartoon-like aspect to this medium.


Identity - final. ©2013 helenkwilliams

EX 2. HATCH
 
I continued to explore the surfaces and patterns evident in four of my five objects in my hatch exercise. I decided to layout the twenty-four sketches according to the hierarchy of exercise one. I tried to increase the density of each row so as to fulfill the brief's requirement of a discernible gradient. (Interestingly, it ended up being readable from top to bottom and well as from side to side.
I excluded the USB stick from this stage since it will be the focus of the next four exercises. 
I started with a motif or single example of some aspect of each of my personal items and then imagined how each would look as the viewer backs away. I enjoyed this exercise and almost found it therapeutic. (Although some of the hatching in the far right squares was a test of my patience). I used a full spectrum of pen thicknesses (from 0.05 to 0.8). I am particularly satisfied with some of the leaf row (third down).

Hatch [final] ©2013 helenkwilliams

EX 3. ANALYSE/DRAW 

Analyse/Draw - [final] ©2013 helenkwilliams
I commenced my analysis of the USB stick with drawings of the exterior and then imagined the contents (with the help of a little research online) which I drew mostly with a hatching technique.



EX 4. SECTION/SCALE 

For this exercise I took the USB stick section from the last exercise and used semi-transparent paper to add layers of new information to the diagram. Inspired by USB circuit board diagrams (found here), I embellished and repeated patterns used in the earlier section  as well as references to my hatching.  I find the mood for this sketch very industrial and urban so it felt fitting to finalise the sketch with a city scape constructed of USB's erected along the 'top' of the section.

Section/Scale - [final] ©2013 helenkwilliams


By way of explanation, these are the three layers that make up my final sketch:

Section/Scale - three layers ©2013 helenkwilliams


EX 5. IN THE STYLE OF...

The style of drawing was derived from a piece originally drawn for online design magazine ‘Core 77’ by Chicago designer and art director Craighton Berman. It also features on Berman's drawing blog here

Original. Source


Craighton typically uses a naive, cartoon-like style which is deceptively simple and fun to look at. To answer the brief, I emulated his simple composition, quirky ink-pen style and clean layout, all of which are signature features of this designer’s drawing. In this particular sketch I also drew inspiration from his use of primary colours and tried to use a similar sense of humour in my text. I felt very comfortable in this style as there are already elements of it that I try to use in my own drawing.


In the style of... [final] ©2013 helenkwilliams



EX 6. FINAL PATTERN 

Using the procedure trialled here I have made a tile using the USB stick again as my hero.

I used a complementary colour scheme as confirmed at kula.adobe.com. I originally wanted a more pale aqua but was unable to buy it in the Promarkers as they were sold out. I checked and this darker hue is still acceptable. It is very Christmassy!


kula.adobe.com - screen grab


This is the tile:
Final pattern tile [final] ©2013 helenkwilliams


Final pattern [final] ©2013 helenkwilliams





EX 7. CONTACT SHEET OF ‘WINDOW VIEWS”

I started out drawing views of all the electronic controls, phones etc we around the home and then started focusing on interesting views of the buttons and controls. To keep a sense of unity among the nine I selected, I have drawn all of the items on the blue carpet in our home. My love affair with the ink pen continues...

Window views [final] ©2013 helenkwilliams




No comments:

Post a Comment