My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Thursday, April 4, 2013

dsdn 111 | hand-in

Planar (Card) Form




Line (Wire) Form



Mass (Foam) Form

All three forms



Presentation drawing: three forms combined in (side) orthographic view

Final summary: 




In this assignment, I think I have had varying levels of success in expressing my intentions in the three forms I have created.

The first form (card) was useful in kick-starting the design process and even though I do not think it was the most resolved form, the heavy line of its 'spine' inspired the development of my ideas for the shape of the second form, the wire form. This form became a metaphor for my chosen word (focus) as well as informing the overall concept for the second form.

Working on the second stage of the assignment culminated in an 'a-ha' moment in the design process. Because it required me to create three forms, each of which are necessarily created sequentially,  this assignment forced me to move past what proved to be a difficult early phase and I was eventually able to produce a form that met my design objective; to entirely convey the sense of the word 'focus’ without resorting to a literal interpretation. Consequently, I have come to better understand a crucial difference between art and design (or perhaps more accurately ‘happy accident vs. intentional result’). I have best summarised the principles I applied to this part of my work here

The final (foam) form came easier to me, allowing me to further abstract my focal idea using the previous stage, even though time constraints left me with a piece that I know I could have crafted better.

Ultimately, my enthusiasm for this project grew as I worked until I achieved a successful outcome and this impetus has fuelled my motivation for working on the next assignment and for the degree as a whole.





No comments:

Post a Comment