My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

tuesday vivian street

Have finally been able to render after interminable crashes and freezes.

This was the first grouping I have attempted since my computer at home was unable to handle the lighting and extra objects being added:


I changed the 2nd form to glass to see what it would look like with the caustics but was put off by the extra time it took to render: not good for testing

Started playing with caustics:

Love the cartoon like shadow effects but find the composition lacks any relation to my narrative

Failed render No 10

Failed render No 15

When I got to this point (above) I was trying really hard to represent what I saw on the view port which was a fantastic dappled shadow caused by the light passing through the parent object but it wouldn't happen in the render and I am not sure why. I adjusted every setting I could think of but nothing worked and if anything I was getting further away from my objective:

Love this effect - couldn't find a way to render it. For this I put the light inside the parent object.
 So I changed tack.


I inserted a camera and tried taking the shot from behind. I also changed the large object's material to glass...nope.

Put another omni light in the foreground and came up with this:

Once again missing the 'lacey' effect of the viewport but still interesting...
Finally I did some research and found that I would be better off without caustics being enabled. Here's the same image with and without caustics enabled:

With caustics enabled



At last! Caustics not enabled. The default lighting works fine with this.

I wasn't happy with the composition though so started working on that.




Test render of the final option which I rendered overnight but have decided not to use. This the test render. The real one took 12+ hours to render...



No comments:

Post a Comment