My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

tuesday betty street

After today's tutorial I have been working on developing forms around the word parent and protect.

I have been looking at images of the Supreme Court interior design (in Wellington) which is inspired by the kauri cone.

Source

This seems to also capture the essence of the fish scale/overlapping tiles ideas I have been working on.

I like the idea of the pattern being visible (and important) on the interior as well.

I am really working on evolving the parent narrative and was reminded of Babushka dolls that reveal smaller dolls when they are opened in their middle. This seems like a logical way to interpret the meaning I want to convey and actually also further develops the idea of protecting the child within. I think therefore my object will shelter a smaller version of itself within.

I was also reminded (during Sunny's lecture) of wordl.net and have created a word cloud which is possible text based image to apply to my object or use in my final render:

wordl.net
Finally I kept going with the forms and arrived at some interesting objects using the tiles I made in the tutorial today:

Once again I used array to form a wall of tiles

like this
 Once I had made the cylinder shape I applied turbosmooth and had something I really liked. So I started applying a wood grain material to test the rendering.

Used the 'cylindrical' option in the UVW Map modifier

Then the 'face' option

...the 'XYZ to UVW' 

...and finally the 'Box' option which is my 'go to' option every time
 So now I was happy with the look of the render I went back to modifying the cylinder and trying to articulate my parent narrative by creating an opening at the top of the form through which we'll be able to see the smaller 'child' form.


I applied the Taper modifier (inversely) to the shape

...and I pulled the top tiles back so that we can see the smaller shape inside

The only thing that concerns me about this version is how the tiles seem to barely touch (because of the turbosmoothing stage) so I feel sure it will break when I am cleaning it.


You can see what I mean better with a coloured background


No comments:

Post a Comment