My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Thursday, October 18, 2012

thursday vivian street | final hand in

** The following is a 'best of' my blog posts for project 3. It was posted for the purposes of visually aiding my presentation only. All image sources have been noted previously on this blog.



Additional render - parent and child (subject of 3D print)

My submitted photograph - please see below for further photos that support my submission

Final render of all three forms

 

 

Images of design precedents:

Roof tops of South of France

Fish scale pattern

Fish scale - variety of pattern

Fish scale pattern

Container ideas emerge
 
Waka Huia - containers for precious objects


Supreme Court of Wellington - interior
Babushka - nested dolls

Development



 Sketches....



1 and 2 - looking at the pattern motifs and methods

3. Tile designs
4. Form shape options
Solidworks tile
Using array


Bend - the most useful modifier



Adding interest



My model starts to take form




My final form with wood texture applied

The 3D Print (A Photo Series):


Photo of print

photo depicting both forms



Photo showing 'burnt' edges of the wings

 
This photo leads nicely into the render that follows


Best render of print
Final render of three options





As I worked through the render part of the project, the first thing I was aware of is how much better equipped (skills-wise) I am to arrive at a result I really want.

I really wanted to produce a render of my objects that is beautiful and with the render of my parent child form in particular I feel I have achieved that result. I find this render is ethereal and feminine and communicates my narrative in a really personal way. If the outer form is the parent then it performs the protective duty in a similar way to the one in which I perceive my own role as a parent which is to show my young daughter the world around her as much as possible while still protecting her from harm. And the fact that there is a passage/escape hatch that will allow the child to free itself from the constraints of parental protection is an acknowledgment of the understanding that must be implicit in the relationship between the two (that eventually the young must always gain their independence).

I have also been thinking a lot about the properties of (tiled) roofs or shelter. How their effectiveness is gained from the integration of many separate tiles into one solid form. That their strength comes about by virtue of the repetition of pattern. Something relatively banal and repetitive becomes strong and aesthetically pleasing through its repetition. My forms have become a really nice analogy for my role as a mother.

In addition I have found another parallel in my life to this which is to do with my role as a stepmother. I have really struggled with bringing the alternative models into the final render because I feel like they look unrelated to the parent form and don't really complement it.  And yet they have finished by being protected by the parent form. The struggle to assimilate the different forms/children into my scene/life relates quite neatly to my role as a step-parent.





No comments:

Post a Comment