My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Saturday, October 5, 2013

dsdn 144 | precedents

Searching for precedents for my projects produced a wild variety of images, here are a couple...

Nick Brandt


Found the following image on Huffington Post and on clicking through found a really powerful series of black and white animal images that really moved me. I find those images and this one (which is from a series he shot at a lake in Africa that has literally calcified these birds) really satisfying. His subject matter and composition seem very controlled and the result is surreal but he must anticipate this reaction as he comments that they were taken and placed just as they had been found and that the intention was to create a 'portrait in death'.

Source

Cindy Sherman


I have always really loved Cindy Sherman's work. Having grown up a part of the Madonna Generation (my term - I have literally grown up and old with her and feel she is one of the most influential identities for women of my age) I can see many similarities between the two women in terms of their output and their public personae. Even though she has made a career out of self portraiture and self-transformation it's almost impossible to know who the real Cindy Sherman is and I feel like the same can be said about Madonna. One-upping oneself is key to the evolution of each artists' work. (i.e. 'You thought that was shocking/amazing/cool - take a look at this') Pop culture and its underbelly feature throughout. It's like a never ending diary of the stuff we notice. Both have produced imagery that is highly staged and manipulates the viewer. I am interested in exploring Sherman's work for my second project. In particular she made a stop motion video in the mid-seventies that depicts her as a paper cut-out doll (see below). Really interesting for me as inspiration for my own stop motion video that would depict the passing of time through Rory and or her clothes and toys...watch his space.  Here is the image that triggered my interest:

Source



No comments:

Post a Comment