My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Friday, October 18, 2013

ccdn 231 | project 3 final presentation

Mission accomplished...



Experience: using a toilet
Related to feeling: comfort
Venue: Toilet located at WIG 052
From previous experiments and my own extensive experience around people using toilets [1] there are several aspects that take priority for most people in order to attain an acceptable level of comfort in this situation. These are privacy, hygiene, ample supply of equipment for personal cleanliness as well as to be aesthetically pleasing and finally, an acceptable odour. Any of these four characteristics can take precedence depending on the circumstances of the event.
For the purposes of this experiment I recognised firstly that for a feeling of comfort to be evoked it would need to be tailored specifically to the person(s) undergoing the experience. Since I feel certain that Sarah Baker and Kath Foster would fall into a similar age category to that of my own, and that culturally I would estimate that there would exist between us a certain level of commonality I decided to use myself as the benchmark for the audience. I have therefore taken the liberty of filling the space with personal items that I find comforting. References to my deceased father play a role in evoking nostalgia. Interestingly a search on the word ‘comfort’ reveals multiple references to bereavement (Shove, 2004). Comfort in this instance therefore comes about by remembering life before the pain of loss.

Privacy: Most people in western cultures would agree that this part of the experience is vital in order to experience comfort. This posed a problem right away since there would be two people participating and it would be impossible to offer privacy if both used the chosen toilet at the same time so I would need to make certain I could guarantee privacy by scheduling each person’s visit and ensuring that the user felt at all times that their privacy was not in question. I have also conducted noise experiments within the room and have found there to be a good amount of sound insulation due in main to the heaviness of the door.
Hygiene: Consideration of the ways in which cleanliness is suggested in public spaces involved removing any obvious marks on the walls, physically cleaning the toilet and sink and ensuring all other surfaces were actually clean using Dettol (the faint odour of which might reinforce the idea of cleanliness). As soon as the standard lamp was installed, the room seemed perceptibly cleaner and the lighting suggested a more homely atmosphere. This might imply that homes that seem clean and organised are cleaner than institutional or public spaces.
Equipment: every item placed in the room had significant meaning to me or was specifically there to further emphasise privacy or hygiene. For example, the portraits were of me and my immediate family, all taken more than a decade ago – the one of my mother was taken in 1958. The buttons were a favourite amusement form my early childhood, the perfumes all favourites of mine as well as one of my mother’s bottles from her youth. The magazines belong to my mother-in-law and have been passed on to me. The main objective was to create an atmosphere of nostalgia and it is surprising how effective a few items of personal significance can be in achieving this. I left the items I had cleaned with the toilet brush and toilet duck to suggest a home toilet. It is very unusual to see items like these in an institutional facility. The music I played was via a Spotify playlist of Burt Bacharach music – I consider this to be the ultimate in comfortable music though not in a negative sense. It is highly palatable background music without being ‘musak’.
Odour:  as discussed I had cleaned the bathroom to ensure its cleanliness and ensure the remnants of cleaning product would instil confidence as to the standard of sanitation.  I also sprayed with a vanilla scented room spray that always reminds me of cupcakes which in turn reminds me of my childhood.
The result: The overall effect was one of homeliness and old-fashioned comfort. It was remarked on by at least one participant that even though there was evident comfort, there was also a sense of glamour which might be because we automatically assume that any obvious care in an institutional facility is immediately associated with places where toilets are glamorous.
I consider the orchestration of the experience to have been a success as there was no confusion as to how the audience perceived the experienced the space.


[1] As previously discussed I founded and was the owner/operator of a business in Australia that catered to for the powder room needs of high-end/high-profile events in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Started in May 2003 and eventually sold in August 2010, it unintentionally provided me with a means for (informally) researching the habits and behaviour of the general public when attending events in an exceptionally wide variety of situations. It also led to my being acknowledged in the Australian events industry as an ‘expert’ in toilets and evidence of this profile still exists online (e.g. http://www.abc.net.au/catapult/stories/s1530529.htm & http://www.femail.com.au/oh-de-toilette.htm)The current owners’ website is located here: www.ohdetoilette.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment