My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Thursday, September 13, 2012

thursday vivian street

So I have been looking online for precedents involving thread and wrapping which is what I intend to do with my object. I am really interested in what the ramifications of the 'no-glue-constraint' are. I have found an art school graduate in London who has invented a thread wrapping machine. It's almost exactly what I want to do but on a larger scale (i.e. using furniture to wrap) and I really like the extent to which he is prepared to go in order to wrap his objects.

Here are some of the items he has wrapped:

Source

Source

Source





I am really interested in the theory that it takes 10 000 hours of practice to become an expert or really good at an activity or vocation... so I was pleased to read the artist's assertion:
“To become a master of the Craft of Thread wrapping, at least 10 000 meters of thread has to be used.”

It should be noted that his machine uses glue-coated thread...

No comments:

Post a Comment