My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Monday, September 24, 2012

monday betty street

Project 3: Grow

Have been looking for precedents to illustrate my ideas about pattern. Although I am keen to move away from the ideas we have been working on I want to retain an element of what we have done so far... I have been thinking about the word 'sew' a lot while working on the first two projects but I have also been thinking about the differences between the word sown and sewn so I started to look at images related to sowing a field...

Source

This image made me to think about terra cotta colours so I started to think about the 'Tomettes' (floor tiles) that I used to have in my kitchen in France...

Source
And the terracotta rooftops of the towns around my home...


©HKW 1990 All rights reserved.
Other tiling examples (I'm really drawn to the fish scale variety) that I found include this interior (bathroom) tile...

Source

and in this vertical garden...


Source
 and these roof tiles...

Source
The assignment asks us to 'conceptualise a theme that responds to some mode of “pattern”' so I am thinking about how roof tiles are placed in a pattern that makes them impermeable and waterproof so they protect and shelter. I want to start working on the idea of my theme being about shelter, whether naturally or synthetically occurring.

No comments:

Post a Comment