My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Monday, June 1, 2015

ccdn 371 | process - found the answer

I am going to use the velum and card to make a non standard book - half way between a A3 and 4 size it comes out like this:



And then I am using thin tape to attach the velum printed with the best of my monthly reads.


I will make a cloth covered book to house the 12 (monthly) signatures. I have researched the methods used to really finish the book to a high standard.

Source


Now I need to experiment with my pages. I thought hard about the concertina but decided it would be too hard to achieve a great finish at the spine without some kind of previous experience.


So I purchased some of the materials and started to experiment


This was too obvious


But I like the page being attached to edge of the linen card (which I really love)


So I think there is a solution here - to use the linen card as the outer layer of the signature


And yes - here is is. The A3 linen card can be folded off-centre and the A4 printed page is attached with the narrow double-sided tape:


So now I need to fold them all:


And then cut the card cover (which will be covered in fabric)


So that the linen card signatures can be bound inside:


For all this, my bone scoring/folding tool has been indispensable - sixteen years after I bought it...


Here the cover of the signature takes shape - note that this is a proto-type and did not end up being used.



I wanted to embroider the word keep on it to retain something of my previous work. I tried multiple options like this:


I transferred the word 'keep' onto the fabric the old-fashioned way - with pencil and tracing paper.



Now the cloth will be glued to the card cover (with Mod Podge - I ended up having to buy the matte version when the glossy Mod Podge proved to streak too much)


Then came the binding - I had 12 signatures which were numbered so as not to mis-order them - too bad that idea didn't work. I still managed to sew them together the wrong way. Undid it and sewed it again.


Looked at all options for the thread - the red thread I bought was too thick. So I looked at organic thread, but it seemed too thin (which risks ripping the paper):


The solution was Grandma Davis' wax thread - perfect for book binding. REALLY old. I was pretty happy I could use it for this project.


I then made sure it was all square and marked where the thread would go:


Here is where the linen tape gets sewn in to the book binding:


The tutorial where I found out how to bind a book is here

Here you can see where I have attached the mull cloth to the spine (with a tonne of tacky glue):


Here I am trying out options for the inner paper to line cover and disguise where the glued bits are:

Green

Black
This is what the card would hide. I ended up going for the linen card that houses the signatures.

A full post on how it turned out will follow.






No comments:

Post a Comment