My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

ARTH 218 | exhibition catalogue cover design

My final assignment for my art history paper on the Baroque.

© luckiestwomanalive 2014

Here's the brief: 

You are organizing an exhibition of Baroque art on art and power. In addition to a list of works and a plan of the layout, you are writing a catalogue essay in which you explain the theme of the exhibition using the works you have chosen to illustrate your argument. (You should look at some examples of actual exhibition catalogues of Baroque art to serve as a model)

I have written the essay (and submitted it) This design cover was also submitted and is intended as a bonus item - I got a little excited - it is the first time I have truly felt my design degree crossed over into my BA. 

I selected the Galerie des Glaces at the Château  de Versailles as my dream venue for its relevance to the power theme.

Château Versailles’ Galerie Des Glaces. Digital image. Château Versailles. 16 May 2014. Web


And here is a sample of the art I would install in my ultimate Baroque exhibition.


Carracci, Annibale. The Choice of Hercules. 1596. Oil on canvas. Galleria Nazionale Di Capodimonte, Napoli. 

Bernini, Gian Lorenzo. Bust of Louis XIV of France. 1665. Marble sculpture. Château de Versailles, Versailles. 


Rubens, Peter Paul. The Elevation of the Cross. 1610-11. Oil on canvas. Cathedral of Our Lady, Antwerp.
Claesz, Pieter. Still-life with Wine Glass and Silver Bowl circa 1635. Oil on panel. Gemäldegalerie der Staatlichen Museen zu Berlin

I particularly love the Claesz still-life - who knew I would turn into a Dutch still-life fan? Inspiring course by David Maskill who turned me around on the subject of Baroque art. What a wonderful teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment