My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

ccdn 231 | presentation of auto ethnography

Thursday 1st August - tutorial

A short presentation documenting three auto ethnographies (6 slides maximum).

These ethnographies must also be documented in more detail on a blog.

Each auto ethnography must include at least two images or one short video and description/analysis of at least 100 words.

I wanted to have my research revolve around the use of the toilet. I produced a video for this purpose that depicted my own personal use of my toilet at home. For privacy reasons I will not be posting this video. You are welcome to contact me directly if you would like to request the pass-code for this clip.*




The whole ritual of performing one's ablutions can be broken down into many different actions. I decided to explore the actions around the use of toilet paper, liquid soap and the tap.

Warning: It is hard for me to experience these things from anything but a personal perspective which usually relates to my former powder rooms for events supply business: Oh de Toilette.

Toilet paper - removal and preparation for use - use of 3 layered images in Photoshop

The first thing I noticed about this was the sound the roll makes as it turns on the holder. It reminds me that some bathrooms (like our own en suite) don’t even have a holder which irritates me each time I use that bathroom. I like order and it annoys me that the toilet roll seems to around the room and is sometimes hard to find.
Touching toilet paper is a highly tactile experience. It is pleasing to find it soft and disappointing if it is rough. I do not like recycled toilet paper for this reason. I prefer my bathrooms to always exhibit signs of luxury. I have also found that some budget toilet paper has an unpleasant odour, like urine, which strikes me as ironic.


Liquid soap - dispensed and used to wash hands - use of 2 layered images in Photoshop

Liquid soap has come to play a starring role in my bathrooms. Our guest bathroom at home always has expensive French soap in a dispenser available for our guests’ use. It is a matter of honour for me.  I favour liquid soaps that are rich, fresh-smelling and leave my hands feeling soft and not dried out. When I use soap like this blue one I cannot help feeling a little sad. Once again the importance of luxury and the finer things comes into play. I push the dispenser down, it works. I wash my hands with the blue then foamy soap. But it is not French. It is not up to standard.

Running water - tap turned on and hands rinsed  - use of 2 layered images in Photoshop

The act of turning on a tap can be the opening step in a multitude of actions. When it is after using the toilet it feels like a climax has been reached and the washing represents a calming period afterward. For me it is positive. Well performed it leaves me feeling refreshed and ready to move on with my day. I like the sound of rushing water and unless it is a particularly cold day, I prefer the water to be cold. I like to be thorough and find it makes me feel anxious if I am rushed through this part of the toilet ritual.

* All requests considered but not guaranteed of fulfillment.

No comments:

Post a Comment