My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Monday, June 17, 2013

dsdn 111 | project 3 final hand in

Project Three



Final model

This storyboard (as previously shown here) presents my initial development

After this I went away from the idea of a container or box and focused on the lock. I devised a plan in Solidworks as seen here

Storyboard of movement for first version of model

 The feature that was the most complex was the locking mechanism - the lug:

The lug involved a fairly simple design for a locking mechanism - though not simple enough


And started working on making a prototype in MDF. The problem was that the size (as per the dimensions above) made the construction very difficult. I also made a model in pine wood to try and devise a way to make my curved lock work however it became apparent that the curved lock was too detailed (in that size) to build so I went back to the drawing board.

I adjusted the lock so that it incorporated wire into the catch mechanism...


Wire in sectioned version of final model
All that was required was to design a 'D' shaped catch which would be made from a semi-circle of rubber (with corner sliced off) sandwich between two pieces of Sculpy (one circular, one 'D' shaped)

Front face of final design
I was lucky enough to have access to my father-in-law's workshop:

drill-press, file for corner fillets, the iPhone curve - ha!, rubber section being made from piece of rubber window squeegee

The evolution of the model

3-step movement of model


High quality image of presentation drawing

My vellum/drafting film illustration hand-in - the drawing I had originally intended to hand in was left at home on hand in day

Decal for presentation wallet:


This forms the bottom layer of the illustrations accompanying my model and is folded three ways so that the name appears on the front




Summary: Two to five sentences that explains the principles and ideas expressed in your work, and reflect on the value of the skills and processes you learned in Project Three.

Inspired by the joint that works the human jaw, this model was based on that joint's ability to first slide out of its resting position, (which allows the up and down motion), then rotate freely.

The lock position and six black dots have been geometrically designed to provide the operation code.

The user must locate the correct code or 'sweet' spot by placing the upper piece on the lower one (the clue is in the two sets of three black dots and the shape of the central lug) in order to ROTATE in an anti-clockwise direction to a closed or LOCKED position.

I have revisited the skills I learnt last year in DSDN 104 by designing my model first in Solidworks. Due to the initial intricacy of my design I was unable to finish it by hand so the most important decision I needed to make was when to redesign to suit my resources. I really wanted to create an aesthetically pleasing piece which I am proud to say I achieved.


Movements
Upper piece: Rotate/Pivot
Lower piece: Lock/Catch


Materials Used
Upper and lower wood shapes: bass wood;
Lock: aluminium wire, Sculpy and rubber (sandwiched between the circle and ‘D’ shaped Sculpy pieces);
Six black circles: inlaid Sculpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment